- Physical - Mechanical Testing
- Product Testing
- On Vehicle Winter Testing
- Mechanical Rubber Goods, Belts, & Plastic Products
- Medical Devices
- Competitive Analysis
- Material Testing
- Abrasion Resistance
- Coefficient of Friction
- Cold Temperature Properties
- Composites Testing
- Custom Mixing, Milling, and Molding
- Cut and Chip Resistance
- Dynamic Mechanical Analysis
- Environmental Conditioning and Exposure
- Flex Fatigue
- Hardness and Density
- Properties in Tension and Compression at Various Temperatures
- Unvulcanized Rubber
- Additional Plastics Testing
- Physical ASTM Standards
- Smithers Calculators
- Product Testing
- Chemical - Analytical Testing
- Identification of rubber and plastic materials
- Contaminant identification
- Polymer molecular weight characterization
- Extractables and Leachables
- 3-A Sanitary Testing Standards
- Chemical ASTM Standards
- Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Technology Consulting
- Product Consulting
- Material Consulting
- REACH Legislation
- Consulting Team
- Processing & Development
- Information Services
Technologists can process quantities from a few grams of materials to hundreds of kilos. We deliver manufacture or compound development trials. Attention to detail is always evident, for example our equipment is stripped and cleaned before use to avoid potential contamination issues. Our technologists can select the most appropriate set-up, configure the machines and develop screw profiles to suit the process requirements.
- Counter-rotating twin screw for PVC compounding
- Small batch mixers are available to process as little as 20g. This is ideal for early evaluation and expensive additives.
- Single screw compounding with or without cavity transfer mixer
A range of extrusion processes are available for manufacturing and sample production. We are equipped with a range of 25, 38, 45 and 50 mm single screw extruders to produce a range of different product types.
- Custom - Dies are often developed to make individual products. Following the successful development of dies some contracts have become part of our continuing manufacturing service.
Small injection molding machines are available; these are typically used for producing test samples but can also be equipped with customer moulds for trials. In addition we can offer problem solving advice and process audits.
Materials Selection and Formulation
Smithers Rapra can provide advice on the most appropriate material or formulation to satisfy client requirements for a wide range of different projects. For demanding applications Smithers Rapra can tailor individual solutions to address specific issues relating to design, performance and durability.
After establishing the right material our technicians can prepare test pieces for mechanical and chemical characterization. Existing formulations can be re-designed to enhance existing performance.
With almost an unrivalled position of having expertise in virtually every sector of the polymer industry Smithers Rapra advises on all aspects of the process, from tool design and scale up, through to complete line layout. Smithers Rapra consultants can create custom processes or tailor existing ones to solve difficult or novel applications.
Smithers undertake the manufacture of specialized or niche products for various industries including medical, security and aerospace. Our technologists are experienced in designing and utilizing small scale production lines and developing novel processing technology. The highest production standards are maintained by in house auditing systems to ensure product quality and consistency.
Smithers Cavity Transfer Mixer (CTM)
Developed by Smithers Rapra, the Cavity Transfer Mixer is a cost effective solution designed to increase the distributive mixing performance of a single screw extruder. The CTM can be retrofitted to both twin and single screw extruders. The device has found successful, industry wide application in areas ranging from polymer and color blending, liquid additive incorporation, through to reactive and direct product extrusion. A variation, the By-pass CTM has been designed specifically for skin coloring applications in the pipe and cable industries.