Complete Composition Analyses
Smithers Rapra's team of chemists carry a wide variety of experience in the rubber and polymer industry including specific expertise in rubber, cured elastomers, thermosets and composite materials, polymer additives and compounding ingredients.
The identification of rubber and plastic materials can be carried out using several key techniques and expert analysis to provide clients with a clear picture of the material characteristics. These studies can help with:
- Competitive material benchmarking
- Performance evaluations to meet specifications
- Formula reconstructions as part of a material / product auditing process
- Quality control to evaluate contaminants
The core techniques that we use to evaluate materials include (but are not limited to):
- Spectroscopic - Infrared Microspectroscopy, UV/Visible Spectroscopy, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (NMR), Atomic absorption spectroscopy (AAS)
- Chromatographic - Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS), Gas chromatography - mass spectrometry (GC - MS), High-performance liquid chromatography
- Thermal - Thermal gravimetric analysis (TGA)
- Analysis - Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS)
Have a specific material analysis requirement? Contact us today to find out how our experts can help.