Understanding the long-term performance properties of a material helps manufacturers and designer make safe and effective material choices for their product or component.
Our expert team will devise a bespoke testing programme tailored to your project’s requirements, potential involving a range of our physical test methods:
- Creep testing
- Fatigue testing
- Environmental testing
We can test to various national and international standards, along with client specifications, across a range of industry sectors, and provide documentation to prove material compliance.
If a material is found to be unsuitable, our experts can help you select an appropriate material based on the expected end-use conditions.
Our most common tests and products are listed below:
Products and materials tested include:
- Design to prevent failures and FMEA Plastics
- Prediction of expected life of plastic
- Fundamental properties of plastics
- Creep strain
- Creep rupture
- Fatigue of plastics (tensile or flexural)
- Environmental Stress Cracking (ESC)
- Bespoke programme design
- Stress Relaxation of Rubbers
- Environmental Resistance of Assemblies and Components
- Environmental testing
- Resistance to Weathering or UV Ageing
- Resistance to Ozone cracking (static)
- Resistance to Air / Heat
- Resistance to Humidity
- Resistance to High Pressure Fluids
- Life prediction and ageing studies (Arrhenius and William Landel Ferry Modelling)
- Mechanical and Physical Properties
- Independent Advice and Training
- Custom built rigs for individual test specimens
- Rubber materials – including Natural, EPDM, SBR, Butyl, Vitons, Silicones
- Plastics – including cellular, reinforced, cross-linked, ABS, Acetal, PMMA, PVC, EVA, LDPE, HDPE, PP, Nylons, PET, PBT, Polycarbonate, PEEK, PVDF, PTFE, TPU’s.
- Variety of test pieces and components
- Flexible sheet
- Pipes and fittings
Standards and Accreditation
Smithers Rapra can test to a range of national and international standards, along with client specifications, across a range of industry sectors.
For more information on how we can develop a custom testing programme to a specific standard or set of standards, please contact our team.
Our laboratories are UKAS accredited to ISO 17025.
Our technicians have sample preparation facilities, allowing us to form test specimens from most material states.
Contact us >