The history of the pneumatic tyre
- A brief overview of the history and development of the modern pneumatic tyre.
Tyre types, construction and development
- Introduction to pneumatic tyres in general, including key tyre categories and their usage
- Components of a tyre and their function
- The process and purpose of tyre development.
Rubber materials in tyres
- Elastomeric materials used in pneumatic tyres and their function.
- Introduction to compounding and rubber compound physical properties in relation to tyres and tyre performance.
Tyre cord reinforcing materials
- How and why textile and steel tyre cord materials are used in the construction of a tyre and how their properties relate to the function of the tyre.
The tyre manufacturing process
- Overview of the tyre manufacturing process, starting with the raw materials, rubber compound mixing and processing, tyre building, vulcanisation and final inspection.
Key tyre performance properties
- An overview of how the properties of the tyre relate to its performance on the road.
- Tyre performance related topics covered will include rolling resistance, traction, noise, abrasion resistance and ride comfort.
- An introduction to indoor and outdoor tyre testing, and its purpose.
The future of the pneumatic tyre
- A look at developing tyre technologies, from tyre pressure monitoring, through airless tyres to the smart tyre. Also covered will be the components of a tyre and its function and the process and purpose of tyre developments.