Introduction to Plastic Materials
- Basic introduction to the fundamental properties of plastics and how this affects their performance.
- Understanding their limitations and how this can affect their durability.
Plastic types and material selection
- Overview of the wide range of plastic types.
- How their structure affects properties.
- The importance of material specification and selection of material at the design stage which will produce more durable products and also help with any failure investigations.
Causes of Plastic component failure
- The various common modes of plastic product failure and how to recognise them.
- Factors related to design, manufacture, service, environment and also human factors.
- Failure and cracking mechanisms including chemical attack, degradation, ESC, creep, fatigue and relaxation.
Plastic component failure investigation
- Typical approach to take when investigating the failure of a plastic component.
- Principle analytical tests and how they can be used to confirm the root cause of failure.
Examples of plastic component failures
- Examples of plastic component failure with a review and explaination of the cause and method of diagnosis.