Deformulation and Reverse Engineering
Smithers Rapra provides a comprehensive formulation analytical service to a wide range of industries, companies and individuals. Our extensive libraries have references to the majority of standard materials and enable our team to identify most polymer components within a formulation.
With years of rubber and plastics experience, our experts utilize material deformulation and reverse engineering to suit a range of needs:
- Competitive analysis of the materials or components within a competitor's product, to determine any differences and how this could affect performance
- Material supplier checks to ensure that the material received is the same material as in the original sample
- Quality assessment and control of your material, monitoring its formulation over a period of time - providing assurance of its continued quality
- Material specification support to assist with decisions surrounding what material to specify for your product
Smithers Rapra has the capabilities to analyze a broad range of materials:
- Thermoplastic composites
- Cured elastomers
- Thermosets and composite materials and products
- Polymer additives and compounding ingredients
- Other polymer based products including;
The analytical techniques used bySmithers Rapra are regularly audited to ensure we meet our internal quality standards and are reviewed regularly to include new technologies and the latest analytical developments.
Principal techniques currently include:
- Spectroscopic - (FT-IR, Infrared Microspectroscopy, UV/Vis Spectroscopy)
- Chromatographic (HPLC, GPC, GC, GC-MS, IC)
- Thermal (DSC, TGA, DMTA, Thermal Diffusivity)
- A range of wet chemical and other general, specialist or miscellaneous techniques.
For guidance with your Deformulation and Reverse Engineering requirements please get in touch with one of our featured experts.