Professor Vipin Kumar is an Associate Professor and UW Microcellular Consortium Director in the Mechanical Engineering Department at University of Washington, Seattle USA.
Prof Kumar has a PhD in Design and Mechanics, Materials & Manufacturing from Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Awards and Honours
• Elected Fellow of the Society of Plastics Engineers, May 2002
• Boeing-Welliver Faculty Fellow, 1997
• Received the Best Paper Award in 1991 from the Thermoplastic Materials and Foams Division of the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE) for our paper on Synthesis of microcellular polycarbonate. Graduate student John Weller was a co-recipient of this award
• Again in 1995, received best paper award at the same conference for our paper on Semi-Continuous production of microcellular foam sheets. Hank Schirmer of BBS corporation was co-recipient of this award
• Govt. of India Merit Scholar for undergraduate studies, 1965-70
• Nominated for best teacher in ME in 2006
• Nominated for UW Best Graduate Mentor Award 2006
Professor Kumar's professional interests lie in the areas of design and manufacturing, including such areas as product and process design, and characterization and processing of polymeric composites.
His research program focuses on microcellular composites, a family of novel cellular materials expected to be used in a variety of applications in the decades to come. See http://faculty.washington.edu/vkumar/microcel/
He has edited Cellular Polymers for 13 years.
- Kumar, V., Nadella, K, Branch, G., and Flinn, B., "Extrusion of Microcellular Foams Using Pre-Saturated Pellets and Solid-State Nucleation", Cellular Polymers, Vol. 23, No. 6, 2004, 369-385
- Kumar, V., "Phenomenology of bubble nucleation in the solid-state nitrogen-polystyrene system", Colloids and Surfaces, A: Physiochem. And Eng. Asp. 263 (2005) 336-340
- Nadella, K., Kumar, V., and Li, W., 2005, “Constrained Solid-State Foaming of Microcellular Panels”, Cellular Polymers, Vol. 24, No. 2, 71-90
- Sarno, E., Kumar, V., and Li, W., "A Hybrid Methodology for Enhancing Reliability of Large Systems in Conceptual Design and its Application to the Design of a Multiphase Flow Station", Research in Engineering Design, (2005) Vol. 16, 27-41
- Pasricha, Arun, Gregory Wing, Vipin Kumar, and Mark Tuttle, "Effect of CO2 Sorption and Desorption on the Creep Response of Polycarbonate", Poly.Eng.and Sc., Vol. 45 No. 12 (2005), 1639-1644
- Wang, X., Li, W., and Kumar, V., “A method for solvent-free fabrication of porous polymer using solid-state foaming and ultrasound for tissue engineering applications”, Biomaterials, Vol. 27 (2006), 1924-1929