Original Run Date: Thursday, January 29, 2019, 11:00 a.m. EST | download below
For every rubber product, there are myriad factors to consider when formulating compound options. The compound processing, final product performance, and overall cost are impacted by the fillers, process oils, aids, and softeners included in the compound, so it’s crucial to select the right materials.
In this introductory one-hour webinar, Christine Domer, General Manager of Smithers Rapra’s Analytical and Physical Testing Labs, will deliver a primer on basic mechanisms of fillers and process oils from a compounder’s perspective, including:
- Reinforcing fillers, specifically, carbon black and silica
- Non-reinforcing fillers, such as clay and talc
- Process oils, aids, and softeners, such as aromatic, naphthenic and paraffinic oils, waxes and tackifying resins.
Christine will cover important details and considerations about these common fillers and process aids, such as:
- Structure and surface area
- Main material parameters and why they are important
- How different options impact the compounding process, cost, and final product performance
- Why to use one versus another for different applications
This webinar is the second in a five-part series on rubber compounding. Headquartered in the rubber capital of the world, Smithers has been serving the rubber industry for nearly 100 years. With this webinar series, the experts at Smithers aim to provide a functional understanding of the basics of rubber compounding to anyone in the rubber industry, regardless of background, job role, or experience.
Other webinars in this series:
- Compounding 101: Polymers | download >
- Compounding 103: Cure Systems | download >
- Compounding 104: Anti-Degradants | register >
- Compounding 105: Testing | date tba
About the Presenter
Christine Domer, General Manager, Analytical and Physical Testing Labs
Christine has over 30 years of material science experience in the tire and rubber industries, with special expertise in raw materials, cure development engineering, compounding, reinforcements, and processing in both tire and non-tire applications. Christine joined the Smithers team in 2016 and is General Manager of the Akron Laboratories (both chemical and physical labs) and the Smithers Tire Analysis Report.