Smithers Rapra offers tailored elemental analysis, using an ICP-OES we can quantitatively determine over 70 elements. Applying this technique, our experts can detect trace to major levels in samples.
We can tailor the analysis to suit your requirements, from a semi-quantitative screen of multiple elements, to targeted analysis of a single element of interest.
Our experts have experience analyzing numerous sample matrixes, not only on polymers and rubbers directly, but also on sample extracts, drug products, and many others. Sample preparation often involves digesting the sample in a mixture of acids, or acidifying a sample solution, as appropriate for the analysis requirements.
Common Applications Include:
- Extractable and leachable trace elemental analysis for the pharmaceutical and medical device industry
- Specific migration limits for food packaging articles
- Total cadmium in plastics (BS EN 1122, method A)
- Heavy metal analysis in toys (BS EN 71-3)
- Total sulfur content in rubber
Common techniques and testing standards include:
- Energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDAX)
- Inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS)
- Microwave Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy (MPAES)
- ASTM F3188 — Standard Specification for Extractable Hazardous Metals in Synthetic Turf Infill Materials
Our experts in Chemical Analysis are on hand to help
Please click on the featured experts to contact us for a quote or more information.