Accelerated aging techniques can be applied to a tire to evaluate the level of oxidation that takes place over a specified period of time. Smithers’ equipment capabilities include a variety of environmental chambers , including:
- 4 large oven chambers (65°C - 70°C)
Government testing proved that migrating oxygen attacks the boundary layers of a tire. In order to replicate that effect, our standard testing protocols include:
- Inflating tire with a 50% oxygen / 50% nitrogen mix (50/50 mix)
- Aging for 1 to 8 weeks (based on protocol specifications)
- Purging and reinflating tire with 50/50 mix at regular intervals
- Completing endurance test protocols on tires after oven aging
In addition, custom test protocols can be made to meet a clients specific requirements.
For more information or to request a quote, please contact us.