In a world of virtual prototypes and compressed development schedules, the ability to model vehicle responses to road and driver inputs is crucial. However, vehicle dynamics models can be no better than the tire models that they rely on to translate what happens between the tire and the road to forces and moments at the axle.
Tire models provide engineers the data needed to save time and costs. However, these models must account for a complex tire / vehicle interactions. Having a firm understanding how all of the pieces work together is key.
Creating accurate and effective tire models requires accurate tire measurements. A variety of measurements may be required, including force and moment, stiffnesses, transient response, inertias, geometric measurements, and material properties. To optimize costs, the choice of measurements and test conditions may depend on the ways the model will be used and the conditions under which the tire will operate. The model parameterization process – fitting the measured data to the model – is also key to achieving success.
How do we get to the final tire model?
- The model's usage spectrum is identified and used to determine the required tests and conditions
- Tire properties such as force and moment, spring rates, impact response, and geometry are measured
- Professional interpolation of data into the model (model parameterization) is done
Tire model compatible with a particular vehicle model which could include:
- Pacejka "Magic Formula" models ('89, '94, '96, '00, '02)
- Adams Tire
- Other / Custom Models
Finding the right partner to assist you in making the best vehicle design decisions can be difficult. Smithers provides important advantages when making that choice:
- Testing and modeling experts located within US automotive corridor for convenient service
- Expertise in choosing the right tests and fitting the data
- Continuous improvement with real-world data that has been validated over 20 years
- Team includes tire design, vehicle dynamics, software and testing experts that average over 20 years of experience in the industry
- Proprietary test methods to support more accurate data fitting
- Fast turnaround time (4-6 weeks in most cases)
- 3rd party, independent source for data
Contact us about tire testing >